Assoc. Prof. Petar Kružić, PhDprint
Asst. prof. Kružić is a marine biologist with expertise in taxonomy, ecology, biogeography and conservation of Anthozoans. His research focuses on the two main fields: an autoecological approach to the study of stony corals, and on a community approach to the study of macrobenthic assemblages, including coral secondary production and response to stress. His interest also includes ecology, biodiversity and conservation of Posidonia oceanica meadows in the Adriatic Sea.
Invited talk title
Impacts of climate change on benthic organisms in the Mediterranean Sea
Recurrent climate induced mass mortality episodes have been recorded in the Mediterranean Sea over the past 20 years, affecting rocky benthic communities. The cause for these events is an abnormal summer warming trend and an increased frequency of above-average temperatures. Mass mortality events reached depths of 45 m in most parts of the affected areas in the Mediterranean. Among benthic species, the scleractinian coral and gorgonian populations suffered the most extensive damages during these mortality events.
- Ph.D. – University of Zagreb, Faculty of Sciences, Department of Biology,Croatia, 2005. Dissertation title: Ecology of the coral Cladocora caespitosa (Linnaeus, 1767) and its bioherms in the Adriatic Sea.
- M.Sc. – University of Zagreb, Faculty of Sciences, Department of Biology, Croatia, 2001. Bioherms of Cladocora caespitosa (Linnaeus, 1767)(Anthozoa, Scleratinia) in the Adriatic Sea.
- University of Primorska, Faculty of Mathematics, Natural Sciences and Information Technology, Department of Biodiversity, Slovenia
- Biological Oceanography
- Protection and Management of the Seas
- Marine Biodiversity
- Biodiversity of Croatian Fauna
- Marine Zoobenthos
- Marine Biodiversity Preservation and Protection
- Selected Topics in Marine Zoology
Kružić, P., Rodić, P., Popijač, A., Sertić, M. (2016) Impacts of temperature anomalies on mortality of benthic organisms in the Adriatic Sea. Marine Ecology. 37 (6): 1190-1209.
Kružić, P., Popijač A. (2014) Mass mortality events of the coral Balanophyllia europaea (Scleractinia, Dendrophylliidae) in the Mljet National Park (eastern Adriatic Sea) caused by sea temperature anomalies. Coral Reefs. 34 (1): 109-118.
Kružić, P., Lipej L., Mavrič, B., Rodić, P. (2014) Impact of bleaching on the coral Cladocora caespitosa in the eastern Adriatic Sea. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 509: 193-202.
Kružić, P., Sršen, P., Benković, L. (2012) The impact of seawater temperature on coral growth parameters of the colonial coral Cladocora caespitosa (Anthozoa, Scleractinia) in the eastern Adriatic Sea. Facies. 58 (4): 477-491.
Kružić, P., Benković, L. (2008) Bioconstructional features of the coral coral Cladocora caespitosa (Anthozoa, Scleractinia) in the Adriatic Sea (Croatia). Marine Ecology. 29: 125-139.